Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Spectating

As much as I love watching my children do what they do, I am not satisfied being a spectator of other people's lives. I want to support my family and love them and help them to do what they do better, but I REALLY don't want that to be all that life is.

As a full time mom, I realize that my job is to take care of my children and take care of my husband, but at the same time, I don't want it to be at the expense of me. I'd like to think that I have value outside of just being a helper to other people getting to live, really live, and I'm sure I go overboard the other direction. BUT. I don't think that I can ever be that mom who lives just for her kids.

Because I intend for one day my children to leave me and go be their own people who don't NEED their mama anymore, just want their mama. I want to eventually be someone that they come to for advice and to chat with for fun, but I don't want to need them beyond when they're done needing me.

So I *maybe* jump in to a few more things than I should, I jump in with both feet and attempt to add value to other lives besides the the ones that exist in my home, and at the same time find my value and my contribution to more than just those not-as-small-as-they-used-to-be people, but at the same time with their interests at the forefront of what I do.

2 comments:

Green Tractor said...

Are you about to announce that you intend to run for president in 2012?

#2 said...

Can you imagine? Nope, sorry, haven't been, nor will I be PTA president, and I'm pretty sure that's a prerequisite.