Saturday, May 30, 2009

There's an App for that.

My iPhone and I lost thirty pounds. Well, with a little help from the treadmill.

So recently I've finally lost all that baby weight. Only eleven years since I started putting it on, but honestly, who's counting. Oh, yeah. That would be me.

So the most often asked question is "HOW?" And while I think that most people are truly wanting to know, there are a few people out there who want me to bust out with my magic pill or surgery tales. Seriously? If I'd had surgery, I'd fire my surgeon for not finishing the job!

But here's the thing. It was painfully simply. And a little embarrassing as to how simple it was.

My iPhone. I love it. I have two free apps that I used and I love. One was used all the way through, Lose It. It simply tracks your calories consumed and used. You set your goals and off you go. And you always have it with you, so there's no excuses for forgetting that donut you had. The other one that I would have used all the way through had I discovered it, was a GPS. It keeps track of how far you are going and how fast, so you can go off and wander and still know your speed and distance, which is essential for calorie counting. And it makes life far more interesting than going on the treadmill day after day and looking at your unmade bed.

And then there was the not-so-free piece of equipment. The dog. Honestly, if you've ever had a workout partner who barks at your for an hour until you go for your workout, you know what I'm talking about. For the price of a little dog food and a can of tennis balls per week, I have a built in won't-take-no-for-an-answer workout partner. And he helps build upper body strength while walking every time we see a bunny rabbit. Which, in this neighborhood, is a LOT.

That's it. Calorie counting. Exercising. I've never been one with any self discipline or self control, nor have I ever been a good dieter. So this? Nothing short of a miracle.

And now, now that I'm getting close to my goal, I so wish I'd taken before pictures/measurements. I was too horrified before, but now I wish I had it to look back at and remember every time I want to have ice cream for breakfast.

6 comments:

AZ Sister said...

You looked amazing in Hawaii! Gives me the courage to start (especially after seeing recent pictures of myself!).

I love you!!

CA Sister said...

I was worried you were going to say you lost your iphone, too!

Congratulations on a goal achieved. You do look wonderful!

Nicole said...

Hi there! I saw that you were recommended by someone on Frisco Online and I'm looking for someone to help with some window treatments in my home. Can you email me your phone # and contact info? Thank you! Nicole- tnconger@gmail.com

Green Tractor said...

A whole month without sunshine!

#2 said...

Sorry, Dad. I've just been so BORING lately.

Tamara said...

YAY for you! I'm psyched for you! Before and after pics WOULD be fun!