Monday, March 16, 2009

Finding culture

This week is spring break here, in the land of spring break before spring actually starts.



So we are taking this week and doing fun stuff around town. You know, that thing that all the newscasts are talking about but the word is so unbelieveably annoying. You know what I'm talking about. That thing we were doing even when all the other people had plenty of money to go on real vacations and we were sticking around town, doing what fun stuff was close to home.



We went into the big city on Saturday and again on Sunday. We went to a giant quilt show on Saturday and to a museum with a big event on Sunday. And my kids? They loved the quilt show and the event at the museum. We wandered around a little, taking our time to get to the car each time. We stopped at the farmer's market and bought tomato plants. I made them stop reading (gasp!) and look out their windows.

I'm thinking that we should stay in the sterilized suburbs, though, because on Monday morning, my kids got busy while I was on the treadmill. They walked in to my room, dressed in funny hats, using a baseball bat and a giant candy cane as canes, scarves and carrying mugs. And begging for money. That I should put in their mugs.

So the city. Culture. Opened their eyes to new things. Just not quite the things I had intended. It's okay, though, because we're heading to Oklahoma tomorrow. I can't wait to see what they come home with from there.

No comments: