Thursday, October 16, 2008

How I got my job.

My sister asks:


"How did you get into the sewing/draperies business? What do you love the most about it?"


I started making drapes shortly after the oldest child was born. I made them for my house. I made them for my neighbor. I made them for her friend. I made them for her friend's friend. It snowballed from there.

I have been working only on referrals for the last nine years, without a break. Well, except for last summer when I didn't take on any new work for three months. Even though I never did get a break.








I love my job for a million reasons. I can make my own hours. I can go on field trips with my children. I work while they sleep. Heck, now I can work while they play. I never had to put them in daycare, but could still make enough money to help my family. Those are the practical reasons why.



But the other reasons? I get to work with fabric. I get to make things for people that I'd never otherwise do. I get to be creative - I can walk into a room and design a window treatment that I think will set off a room. In my head. I get to meet people that I'd otherwise not ever have met. I create something beautiful (almost) every day.


I am able to stay at home with my children, yet I have something for me that keeps my mind moving in directions other than bodily functions and cleaning. I solve problems every day, but I get to use my inability to think in straight lines to work for me, rather than against me.

I believe that my job is a gift that was given to me, for me to succeed at or to fail at. But, through hard work and honesty, I have been able to be successful, and to get better and better at it with each day. I am grateful for it in so many ways.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How beautiful your creations are. Your customers are so blessed to have chosen you to create beauty for them in their homes. A great big PLUS to that relationship is the customer being able to get to know you and the love you have for sharing yourself and your wonderful God given talent!

Keep up the good work!! You are so cherished by all of us who know you so well.

ca sister said...

Love your work, my dear fiveberries! I can't think of better reasons to have and love a job.

It's interesting... so many people look for that "perfect" job. You've created it for yourself. I'm sure there are things about it that you don't thoroughly enjoy, but the overall benefit outweighs those aspects.

So many of my friends are coming to the other side of the young-child-staying-at-home-mom thing. Kids are in school all day, and these well-educated, ambitious women are now thinking about what they (we) can do while the kids learn and work at school. Some of us want to re-invent our professional selves. Some want to go back to what they had before, but only while the kids are at school. Some just want to do something valued by someone besides their immediate family. We're a big contingent that's been largely untapped by the business world. Oh, in this new sagging economy, tell me that a part-time, no benefits hard worker isn't a dream come true?!?

I love that you've solved this in a very creative way. AND, you don't have to sit in a cubicle or find a babysitter when someone gets sick. Yeah! YOU'VE solved this problem for you. We each have to find our own solution.

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

The question is, do you tackle long distance projects? Or do you require an all expense paid trip to said residence and room and board while you whip up your creations?

#2 said...

I'll do long distance trips, but only if they live somewhere beautiful and sunny, like, oh, I don't know, Florida? And I require an IV of Dr Pepper at all times. Because you can take the girl out of Texas...