Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Death of the Family Dinner

Seriously, I don't think I've had a decent meal in weeks. It's not pretty.

Our schedule runs a little like this:

3:00 Pick up kids and walk home
3:10 Snack
3:30 Homework
4:30 Dinner
5:00 Get ready for practice
5:20 Leave for practice
8:00 Leave practice, snack in car
8:30 Arrive home, bath and stories
9:00 Bedtime

Honestly. Dinner at 4:30? I can't even force them to eat awful food and demand that they eat or go hungry, because they have to run for hours and hours. I can't send them to practice hungry. So I have to play short order cook and feed them all sorts of randomness that must serve as a meal for the next seven weeks. And me? I just eat scraps in between preparing the meal and getting everything ready for the Next Thing To Do.

But by then I will have forgotten how to cook. Or how to fight with them over how many bites they must eat before leaving the table.

And my husband? Yeah, he's on his own when he gets home from work...

Brilliant dinner ideas? My ears are open...

2 comments:

ca sister said...

Oh, sweetie! This sounds dreadful! My only suggestion is to make dinner's "vegetable" course their snack... an apple, some carrots, whatever kind of a munchy, fibrous, from-a-plant snack they'll eat. That way, you've snuck in some dinner-type foods while they're still really hungry.

My other suggestion is sub-sandwiches (OK, that would be MY oldest's suggestion) for dinner.

Oh, I don't know. We've got a nasty schedule, but swim practice doesn't take 2.5 hours!

Best wishes, my dear. May your dinner struggles be the worst thing about football season!

Bunny said...

My parents didn't let us have a snack when we got home from school because we'd eat dinner at 4:00-4:30 (so my Mom could eat with us before she left for night shift).