Friday, July 11, 2008

indulgences

I'm not one to indulge myself very often, and certainly not in the typical Texas suburban woman sort of way. It's been a year since my last haircut, in fact, the last time my children went to their Granny's. I've not had a pedicure since my sister's wedding. It's just not the sort of thing that I do very often.

But there are other indulgences that I do enjoy, that I've been able to enjoy since I dropped off my children at their Granny's and ran as fast as I could before she changed her mind.

The other day, I started a library book at about midnight. Let's just say Oprah would never choose it as a book club selection. Yet, when I started the book, I knew I wouldn't be able to put it down. So I didn't. I stayed up until about 4 in the morning, just reading this book, doing something so indulgent that I couldn't do it if the children were around, planning their early morning trouble-making.

And, I've been dragging my husband into home decor stores. Not the kind that I usually shop in that double as craft stores and grocery stores, but the kind where I can't actually afford anything, so I can't bring the meddler who would no doubt break something. It's a wonderful way for me to get inspiration for my work and my house and to reconfirm the fact that we both want a house that can be lived in, not a showcase sort of a home. It's nice to know that Sarge would actually choose the style that I've created for our home (minus about 90% of the clutter).

Not very exciting, I know --heck, none of it cost a dime - but my kind of thing to do when I have a week to do nothing useful at all besides spend time with my husband and work, work, work. Like that life that I had before children. That I just never fully appreciated - the peace, the lack of whining, the ability to not only keep up with laundry, but stay ahead of it - oh, my. I'd better go get my kids before I get used to this.

No comments: