Sunday, April 6, 2008

Unintentional Decluttering

I've been on a little bit of a decluttering kick lately. The closet under the stairs, the childrens' closets, my fabric stash - nothing is safe.

But in the process of cleaning out my kitchen cupboards, there's been a giant platter that's been in the way since the day we moved in and I put it there. When I say it's giant, I mean it's practically the size of my first kitchen table. I bought it a million years ago on clearance (hey, guess why no one else bought it? You can't put it on the table and still eat! But good news! The whole 20 pound turkey will fit on it!), and have been using it as a decorative piece ever since.

But in this house, the cabinets and ceiling are too close to each other to allow the platter to fit in between. So in the cupboard it went. I cleaned out my cupboards and put it on the counter, where it's been taking up space while I figured out what to do with it.

Yesterday, I finally decided that I'd put it in the office, on top of the bookshelves. Where it seemed pretty stable. You see where this is going, don't you?

Add three children in a small cluttered space getting excited about flight simulator to a "it seems pretty stable" giant platter up high and you get a giant crash, frightened whimpers and a freaked out mother. And demands to "NOT MOVE AN INCH WHILE I GET MY SNEAKERS." Shattered platter. And suddenly, a little less clutter.

Thankfully, my Arkansas Dr Pepper can airplane was spared. That and the pig will be buried with me, I'm sure.

No comments: