Wednesday, April 2, 2008

For My Mother

I had the opportunity to spend the weekend with both my sisters, with no children involved. My mother didn't come - not that she wasn't invited, but I think that my poor brother-in-law would have just curled up in a ball on the bathroom floor sucking his thumb if all four of us invaded his home. But even while I was there, she was telling me she couldn't wait to read all about it. Which translates, "POST ALREADY, YOU LAZY WOMAN!"

Unfortunately, we were the most boring people ever. Honestly, I got more material from 20 minutes in DPS than I did from a weekend with my sisters (and, by the way, the lady at the DPS - LIAR, LIAR PANTS ON FIRE - she must have thought that I just couldn't help looking bad and she was trying to be nice. Or she takes great glee in bad drivers license pictures. Least I don't have to live with the picture until I'm 65 like SOME people.)

Except that I noticed something. Each of us are completely capable intelligent women independently, but honestly, together we had some of the most ADD conversations you've ever heard. We'd start talking about something, someone would interject with a tanget, we'd go with the tangent, have another tangent off the tangent, and go on and on, and only sometimes make it back to the original story being told. We only stopped to sleep, and even so, we didn't do much of that.

And my brother-in-law told me we weren't allowed back unless we brought at least one child so he'd have someone to play with. Honestly, I've never seen someone so giddy at the airport.

So, Mom, I'm sorry. You raised boring, well-behaved children. So I guess talking to us in the middle of the night did work.

3 comments:

ca sister said...

Oh, yeah! We really know how to have a "girls weekend" without kids. Paintbrushes, ladders, sewing machines, and (sorry AZ B-I-L) too many trips to Home Depot. Next time it should include massages, pedicures and a drink with an umbrella.

Love you all! You're the best sisters ever!

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

Quite a sisterhood you have there...

but did you have traveling pants?

#2 said...

Ah, yes, no traveling pants. The only place my pants would travel on my sister is right down to her ankles.

And next time, NO WORKING!