Saturday, February 16, 2008

Watching Television Can Be Hazardous. To MY Health.

Have you ever found yourself watching the news with small children and suddenly thinking that you shouldn't be doing that? Or Inside Edition comes on? Or a commercial during an otherwise appropriate television show?

The news is on, and suddenly talk turns to a pedophile. Or a dead police officer. Inside Edition is talking about Gary Coleman's sexless marriage. A commercial for Erectile Disfunction. Or, heaven forbid, your OWN MOTHER sends you and innocent seeming YouTube video which has inappropriate-for-children (but really funny, by the way) content?

My first reaction was to suddenly, quickly, without words, change the channel. But then I wonder if by reacting in such a way draws more attention to it, making it that much more interesting. But usually when something like that starts, you know it's only going to get worse. And worse. And talk always turns to Britney's lack of undergarments.

So instead, around my children with the BIG ears, I start to talk. "So, how was your peanut butter and jelly sandwich today? How many Webkinz do you have again? Gosh, I think it might be time for a haircut." I mean, I start to talk. I don't care about what, I'm just trying to be louder than the TV.

Does it work? I don't know. Maybe my bright red blushing and stammering gives me away and freaks my children out enough that they don't ask any questions. As long as it keeps me from explaining about KY warming cream, I'm good.

3 comments:

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

I might just have to boycott watching the World Series next year. Every other commercial was about erectile dysfunction or some other racy topic.
We never watch anything like Inside Edition or Entertainment Weekly here, so we don't have that problem. And my kids are older, so slowly exposing them to the evils of the world (on the news) isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd rather they see it while they are watching with me so that we can talk about it--why the world is like it is and also how to protect yourself.

progers said...

Just want to tell you how much I enjoy your blog...I'm addicted!
You are very entertaining and sometimes make me laugh out loud!
Your mother-in-law mentioned it to me at Christmas and I got the address from your Christmas letter.
(This is Pam, Sarge's cousin).

#2 said...

Pam! I'm so glad you like it! That makes me so happy!

Thanks for commenting and letting me know!

Oh, and Karen, we don't watch Inside Edition either, but it comes on after the news and sometimes I don't get to change it in time for them to get in with all their juicy headlines. Then I suddenly remember, loudly, how much I love wheel of fortune and we should watch that!

And I know I *should* talk with my kids about these things, I just really, really don't want to. Really. But I will. Just as soon as we finish watching wheel of fortune.