Friday, February 22, 2008

In The Line Of Duty

I was wondering as I watched the news today why it was news when a police officers dies while doing his job. Why does it seem sadder to me than another death while working? Aside from the obvious.

And I realized that when an officer dies while he is working it is because he is working for us. Or Hillary. Or whomever. But he is working to take care of other people. Not to serve a corporation, not because he's on his way to Target to buy groceries, but he is usually where he is because he is making sure that we are safe and that we are protected. And if not us, then someone like us.

I get asked all the time if I worry for my husband's safety while he's at work. And I really don't, not anymore than I would if he were commuting a long distance, or driving all day at work. Because here's the deal: he's prepared. He's on guard and ready. But he and I both have made peace with his job and his obligations. And he's made his peace with God. And we know that no matter what, God is taking care of us. Whether it's him on the road, taking care of bad guys or it's me if something were ever to happen to him.

When he's called to do his job, it's because someone like us needs help. Or protection. Or a ticket(!) And he does it willingly. Without judgment. And because he wants to. This is a job that you are called to, not one that you do just to pay the bills.

But that's why I think it's sadder when a public servant loses his life while doing his job. Because they are doing it for us. All of us, any of us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I've dried my eyes and put on fresh makeup.

What a touching blog to share. I wonder sometimes if people really apreciate the sacrifices that our law enforcement makes for our safety and well being.

It is an honor to be a part of a family that cares in making our land a safer place to live.

Thank you and God bless all of our LAW ENFOCEMENT OFFICERS and our SOLDIERS who stand and fight for our safety and freedom!!

God bless their families!!

Anonymous said...

appreciate (sorry for the first spelling). Trying to rush to quickly.