Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I don't have a thumb-sucker anymore!

And it was far less painful than I thought it would be. But I've been scared to type it out in black and white for fear that it wouldn't remain true.

But it's been a month. Woop has been lost. Honest-to-goodness-lost, not lost-like-the-middle-one's-paci (but don't tell her that, thanks.). And he's been fine without it. And fortunately, they go hand in hand, and without the woop, he doesn't suck his thumb. I keep thinking that I need to find it for real, so that I can make sure he can't find it, but it's really, really lost.

I've known since he was very small that if I could keep the two things linked that removing the thumb would be less of a problem. And fortunately, they stayed linked, and there were no bitter apple sprays, no nail polish, no contract with his mother to not eat chocolate for a month (I don't know how my mother did that one without cheating!). It just faded away.

He's not even really tried to find his woop. He says it's in his sister's room, but he doesn't seem to care. I mentioned it one night, about two weeks ago, that I was proud of him for sleeping without it. I said I thought he might not need it anymore. He looked surprised and told me that he did. I shut my mouth and haven't said another word about it.

Now if only I could get him to stop with the pull-ups at night as easily. Because that's going to be a disaster.

2 comments:

green.barn said...

It's a lot easier to do something for someone you love than it is to do it for yourself, that's how. And no, I really didn't cheat!

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

Woo-hoo! Good idea to keep the woop and thumb connected. Our kids never did thumbs, but were avid binky kids. They both ended up trading them in at the toy store. Literally, we handed over a pile of binkys, and walked out with toys.
(of course, they didn't see us slip the credit card to the cashier)