Thursday, February 14, 2008

Birthday reflections.

This morning, when I brought birthday treats to my oldest son's classroom, his teacher asked me if it felt like yesterday. And I said, yes, it feels like yesterday, but at the same time it feels like a million years ago.

As the day progressed, I thought about it more and more. And it doesn't feel like yesterday at all. I can't imagine the world without my children. I can't remember what it was like to see the world as I saw it before my childrens' personalities have colored it for me.

Each thing that I see, each thing that I do, I think about my children and how they see things. I can't see something sparkly without thinking how much the middle one would like it. I can't see a Volkswagon beetle without thinking that I should feel a thump on the back of my seat and a "SWUG BUG" yelled at me. I can't think of an animal without wondering how much more my oldest knows about it than I do. Or a historic fact. Or a scientific fact. You get the idea.

I looked at nine-year old pictures of an infant that I didn't yet *know* and I can't remember. I can't remember not knowing the three of them and knowing how they've colored my life with brighter colors that I ever knew existed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a good time to read, once again, that beautiful story "LOVE YOU FOREVER" by Robert Munsch.

There has never been another story that I can remember that touches my heart as this book does.

Children are a wonderful blessing to be loved and cherished. I'm so thankful to know that mine are!!

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

That same thing happens to me! It feels like last week they were born, no it feels like forever ago!
Nicely stated.

Sometimes, when I'm driving alone, I'll actually punch myself when I see a VW bug! (twice if it's an old one or a convertible)

ca sister said...

sniff, sniff.

I'll never forget the call we got while at the Aquarium. It's a boy!

We LOVE these kids! And LOVE your sunny perspective. You're all fortunate to have each other!