Sunday, January 20, 2008

I had a dream about my brother-in-law last night...

So now that I have both my sisters' attention...

I promise that it wasn't a dream that will make family Christmas uncomfortable, it was more of a nightmare, really, as it also involved laundry.

For some reason, we were at a vacation house up near the lake in California we occasionally spend a week in the summer at, and I guess he and I drew the short straws and had to do laundry for the families. So we walk down some stairs and enter the house again from the outside through some sliding glass doors. And as I enter, I see laundry everywhere. All over a giant bed, baskets all over the floors and literally streaming out of the dryer. Piled up, clean and unfolded, everywhere.

I composed myself, seeing all this laundry that must belong to other people who had stayed at this house prior (multiple years - it was so much laundry). We pushed through to the back of the room where the washer and dryer are, and plan to get started. I glanced at the laundry that was in the dryer and I recognized some of the pieces, so I guess I assumed that my sister had done some laundry and forgotten about it. So I cleared room and started folding it, and that's when I realized what all this laundry was.

It was every piece of clothing that our combined six children had ever owned, and it was waiting to be folded. All of it.

This is how my brain works when I'm asleep. Can you imagine what it's like to be me awake? You may now silently cry on my behalf. Thank you.

3 comments:

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

I think we should adopt togas as our clothing. One toga per size. You outgrow your one toga, you get one new toga in the next size. That's it. Think of how easy that would be!

CASister said...

So sorry! Did this brother-in-law *actually* help you with the laundry?

When we were first married, CABrother-in-law informed me that folding clothes would not be necessary... they could just be jammed in the drawer. If only I had listened.

#2 said...

I'm thinking that's why my subconscious put him there instead of you or sarge - I would have demanded Sarge help and you and I would have worked together to formulate a plan before we would have started folding, and I think cabrother-in-law just stood there staring at me and the mess hoping that it would just go away.

And togas. I'm not sure I know how to fold a toga. It strikes me as hard to fold. Though it would help with arguments over what to wear in the morning, and as an adult, it would be nice to be able to hide all those flaws, but how embarassing to have to go up a size...