Wednesday, January 23, 2008

extraordinarily ordinary

Last night, we were having a cub scout meeting, and the den leader had just gone over a whole list of tall tales. Then, just after, he quizzed the boys with attributes and the boys were supposed to guess who it was he was describing. There were probably twenty.

My oldest child, each time, raised his hand with the ever-present, "ooh, ooh, ooh," and the breath holding and near explosion. The den leader each time would give the other boys a chance to answer and then when they couldn't, he deferred to my child. Who knew them. Every. Single. Time.

By the end, it was getting silly. All eyes were on him. One of the boys remarked, "let's just see if he knows all the answers!" The adults were impressed, amazed at his retention. Jokes were made about putting him on Jeopardy. He was a machine.

I remarked to him at bedtime that I thought that he did a good job remembering all the stories and who all the main characters were. I told him I thought that the grownups were impressed with how well he listened and remembered. He shrugged his shoulders. I asked him if he thought that he did a good job. He shrugged his shoulders and commented that it was just normal.

And while the rest of us can't imagine having a memory like that, he can't imagine being without a memory like that. It's just ordinary.

No comments: