Monday, December 24, 2007

wedding gifts


A long time ago, I got married. In fact, it was nearly 12 years ago.


Today, as I was mopping and scrubbing my kitchen floors, I was reminded that the very bucket that I've been using for the last twelve years (not really as faithfully as I should...) was a wedding gift.


My twenty year old self thought it was by far the strangest wedding gift. In fact, I'm pretty sure that I didn't appreciate it. I can only imagine the thank you note I wrote:


"Thanks for the mop bucket. It's such a nice cream color and I it's such a useful gift. My new husband and I will enjoy the time we spend together using it."


However, my thirty-two year old self defininitely appreciates that gift. In fact, I'm glad it was given to me, and I'd almost like to go back and write another thank you note for it.


It's like when you have your first baby, the shower gifts that you love the most are the ones that you never use. They're so pretty and useless, but you know that with the second baby that you are all over that diaper shower. And onesies. And burp cloths.


People should get another wedding shower, but after they've been married about 10 or 15 years. I've not used all the gorgeous chrystal candlesticks or bowls. Or really even any china. And lets not even talk about the lingerie.


This time, I would be grateful for all the towels in the world. I wouldn't even care that they didn't match, I'd just be glad they didn't have holes in them. And potholders and tupperware and corning ware dishes. Oh, and recipes!


But I wouldn't need another mop bucket. The one I've got has a lot of life left in it.

1 comment:

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

Amen! I've said many times that people should get a 15 or 20 year "shower." I mean, it's almost uncommon to stay together that long, we deserve a reward for toughing it out!