Thursday, December 27, 2007

M-ads.

There are televisions in my grocery store. Every aisle, they are advertising something at me. Telling me to clean out my refrigerator before I grocery shop, telling me to buy Chee-tos, telling me to buy, buy, buy.

It's new, this grocery store television thing. They are attached to each aisle, two per aisle, right at smack-me-in-the-forehead-while-I'm-buying-cereal level. I couldn't tell if what they were advertising was aisle specific (though the Chee-tos ad was in the vegetable section...) or if it was just throughout the store, like watching thirty solid minutes of advertising that I couldn't escape.

I object. Really, it wasn't terribly obnoxious or loud, it was just constant, pervasive messing with my subconscious, attempting to derail my plans for my coupons and list.

I suppose, with a Super Wal-Mart and a Super Target right down the street, they have to do something to boost their numbers, and they certainly weren't going to head down the "good customer service" road, so they are trying this. And it might just do the opposite of what they are intending. At least for me.

1 comment:

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

Oh yeah, that is annoying. As an adult, I know exactly what they are trying to pull and I can make a conscious decision NOT to buy that product. But the kids will be sucked right in.
I wonder if they watch their numbers. Like "Chee-tos sales were up 110% on the day the Chee-tos ad was airing." I'm sure that sort of information would be passed on to the manufacturers.....who are probably paying to advertise on the screens.