Monday, November 5, 2007

You hit, you hug.

I put my kids to bed at 7:30 tonight. I had them all in bed, came downstairs and realized how early it was. Oops. You've gotta love that time change.

They were exhausted, however. The younger two were arguing and fighting every time I'd turn my back. And the two of them can really scrap.

So for punishment, once the dust had settled, I made them hug. They had to stand in the hallway with their hands around one another and hug. At first it was really sweet. They stood there with their arms around each other like seventh graders slow dancing. Or at least back when I was a seventh grader.

Then the oldest and I were discussing the punishment, and he started to giggle about it. Which made me laugh. Which made the littlest one laugh, which FINALLY made the middle one laugh. Which is what I really wanted from the whole thing.

It almost all fell apart, though, when I made them look each other in the eyes and say they were sorry and that they loved each other. You would think that it was going to poison the middle one to have to speak those words with kindness.

1 comment:

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

Ah yes, the time change. I told my kids the other night it was bedtime an they both whined, "it's only 7:00!" Oh...well, go get your jammies on at least! :)

I'm glad your hard times ended up in fits of giggles!