Thursday, November 8, 2007

scrooge-ish

I remember, back in the day, when it seemed obscene to put Christmas decorations up before Thanksgiving. And even then, right after Thanksgiving seemed a little too soon. I mean, it wasn't even December yet.

So here we are, the days right after Halloween, when the Christmas decor has been in the stores so long that it's on sale, and decorations are not only everywhere, but they've turned the lights on. I've been watching since the first of November the men work tirelessly putting decorations up at the entrance to our neighborhood, stepping around the smashed jack-o-lanterns that haven't even had a chance to start rotting.

But here's the deal. I was coming home tonight after dark and the lights were on down Main Street, and they were (half -- high class!) on at the entrance to the neighborhood. As much as I wanted to feel indignant that the decorations were up, they kind of made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. And it made me feel like I was betraying my upbringing and the family tradition of being annoyed at all things Christmas outside the month of December and the first few days of January.


P.S. And to further betray that, I purchased a fake Christmas tree today. FAKE. And, barely in November.

2 comments:

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

I got ya beat. My fake tree was delivered a few days ago. Yes, I have a fake tree. And yes, I ordered it ONLINE! ;)

The kids want to put it up the "day after Thanksgiving." Seeing as we're celebrating Thanksgiving with my family THIS Sunday (b/c of schedule conflicts) the kids are hoping the tree goes up on Monday, November 12th.

I can't think of a better way to spend Veteran's Day!

Anonymous said...

We've always started our Christmas decorating right after Thanksgiving. It is such a beautiful time of year.The magnificent glittering and twinkling of the lights just warm you through and through. I even have ours on in the daytime just for myself to enjoy. Not to mention the Christmas carols. All the wonderful Christmas songs. They never bore me. I work in the house while they soothe my mind and spirit.
We've never had many real Christmas trees, although they are beautiful. Their endurance was not as long as mine for the season.
Best of all is celebrating the birth of Jesus, the true meanig of Christmas.
So, that is why I like to begin early. Whether a big tree or just some simple decorations. The show must go on!