Monday, November 26, 2007

Poetry

I hate it. I know, I know, that makes me unsophisticated and unromantic. But it makes me crazy. Especially the rhyming kind that's not supposed to be funny.

Now, back in my younger days, if a boy wrote me poetry, his days were numbered. It was never a conscious thing, I probably couldn't even enumerate how much I disliked poetry, I just knew that if a boy was trying to tell me what he thought or felt in a roundabout way that we'd never last. But man, that was definitely the kiss of death for me. Let's just say that my husband has not one poetic bone in his body and thankfully for both of us, I think that's just perfect.

Here's the problem. I love to read, but I like to read and understand what the author is trying to write, not make guesses. I am such a straightforward person that I like to know exactly what someone is trying to say rather than having to guess and make inferences.



If you pick a word that rhymes, let's just assume it wasn't your first choice in words. You didn't pick it because it was perfect, you picked it because it rhymed and it was good enough. Why not pick the perfect word instead? I'm willing to bet money that the reason why a dove is a bird that symbolizes love is because it rhymes. You can tell me that doves mate for life and that it's very romantic, but I'm telling you, if "dove" didn't rhyme with "love" then they wouldn't be nearly so popular.

It just seems contrived. Even though I'm glad to be alive...d.

See what I mean? Or maybe I'm just a bad poet.

3 comments:

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

I'm with you.
I think poetry is poo.
Give me a good book.
And I'll take a look.
Or even a podcast will do.

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

And what happened to your post about the annual visit? it's on my reader, but it's not here! I have so much to say about that! :)

#2 said...

Oh, I only published it for a minute. I have some editing to do before I can let my dad read THAT one!

And thanks for the poem. That's my kind of poetry!