Wednesday, October 24, 2007

wimp.

So it got chilly here, finally. And when I mean chilly, I mean in the 50's. My Arizona, "ack! It's down in the seventies here! I need a sweater!" sister will understand.

So Sarge was working, and I really didn't want to turn on the heat. I hate that smell of the first time it's turned on after a season off, and I just wanted him here for that. So I told the kids to put on warm pajamas and socks and make sure they had plenty of blankets. When I went to bed, I bundled up in my flannel and wool socks and brought out two extra blankets. We were ready for a blizzard. In the house.

So I wake up in the morning, all cozy and warm, proud of myself for not turning on the heat. Wow! We'll really do well turning down the heat this winter! Hot Dog! My nose was a little cold, and I certainly didn't want to get out of bed, but we were still alive!

And then I looked at the thermostat. It was sixty-nine degrees in the house. Umm, yeah. How on earth am I going to make it through the winter?

4 comments:

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

It's 49 here now with a wind chill. I hesitate kicking on our heat too, b/c once we turn it on it'll be hard to turn off!
I might be sorry in the morning!

Rete said...

we're in that time of the year when I always fight turning on the heat, even when I'm cold at night, since during the day it gets warm enough to need the a/c... so far we've managed. Have a great week!

AZ Sister said...

Seriously - we were leaving a restaurant tonight and I remarked to my darling husband how cold it felt. We got into the car and the handy thermometer on the rear view mirror told us that it was 79 degrees (which really means that it was *only* about 76. I have turned into a HUGE wimp.

#2 said...

We're still going strong with no heat, and it's really not gotten very bad at all! It's been less than 50, I think there was even a frost warning last night, but the house warms up nicely during the day, so we're doing pretty well! I'm impressed with myself so far, but I've been wearing my wool socks!

So, AZ Sister, you're not going to Minnesota for your winter getaway? I hear the Great Lakes are gorgeous!