Monday, October 29, 2007

Normal

My oldest child is rather smart. To me, he's normal. He just is who he is. He has strengths and weaknesses, he has challenges to overcome and things that come easily to him. Likes, dislikes, passions and things that he could care less about. His intelligence doesn't actually affect our daily life much - things are just normal.

But sometimes, just sometimes, he stuns me. Knocks me on the floor.

Like the time in Kindergarten when I realized that they needed to know their phone number and he didn't even know the number of digits in the phone number, much less what they were. So I sat down with him and repeated the digits over and over to him, and he just couldn't get it right. I mean, there was just no way. So I got the bright idea to show it to him. I wrote it down on a little slip of paper, just as though I was going to give it to a friend. I flashed it at him. He looked at it for no longer than 10 seconds. I took it away and asked him what our phone number was. He spoke it perfectly, never made a mistake after that.

Just recently, like in the last few days, he's just floored me again. With little things that I usually take for granted, because it's just who he is. There was a question in the paper the other day, a brain teaser. It went something like this:

"There are five people in a race. Rachel and George were not last. Jerry was before George. Pat was before George. Rachel came in after Jerry. Etc, etc. Who came in first?"

I can't remember the specifics, but I read it to him, just for fun. He knew the answer immediately. "Pat. Do you want to know the rest of the order? Next came Jerry, then George, blah, blah, blah." Um, seriously? I hadn't even sorted out who was in the race? And he did it while he was reading the comics! Gah!

And then, we were digging in the Halloween candy. I said, "oooh, an Andes mint! I want that one!" And he asked me about the candy. And I went on and on about how delicious it was, because, well, YUM. About a minute later, he says, "Mom, is it spelled like the name, Andy, or like the Mountain Range?" Um, seriously? You're eight.

Just little things. They normally just fly right past me, because they are who he is, but every now and then I can really step back and realize how cool he really is.

1 comment:

Karen (Pediascribe) said...

Sometimes it's fun to "watch" their little brains work. And sometimes it's humbling because I have no clue how their little brains work! :)