Friday, September 7, 2007

loose teeth

No, there are none here. That fact distresses the six year old to no end.

As much as I might explain to her that many of her classmates are a full year older than her. As much as I might tell her stories about her first birthday when she only had one tooth. As much as I might tout the benefits to having less time for her adult teeth to rot. It doesn't matter.

At least twice a week, she asks me to feel her teeth, to make sure they're not loose, even though I know they're not. Her little teeth haven't even begun to spread apart - they are still just the right size for her mouth. There would be no place for giant adult teeth to go.

She cries sometimes about her lack of loose teeth. "Mommy, do you think when I'm ten I'll have a loose tooth?"

No comments: