A friend is updating her resume after being out of the workforce for a year, and she was having a hard time remembering what she did at her last job. And I realized that I haven't had a regular job in nearly nine years, and not only could I not remember what I did, I could barely remember the name of the company! And then I wondered what my resume would look like.
Would it just have a giant blank space in the middle?
Would I list the tasks I was responsible for in the last nine years? Because that might be a little frightening.
- kept clients' bottoms clean after daily, sometimes hourly, constitution
- responded in a timely manner to usually unreasonable demands of client
- wrangled unwilling clients in the presence of other competitors and maintained convincing smile
- used unorthodox methodologies while convincing clients to do things that were in their best interest, even though they didn't know it
- managed daily quotas of hugs, kisses and milk for all clients
- kept meticulous records in my head of all illnesses and medications of all clients, while successfully fighting insurance companies and hospitals unreasonable requests for unavailable resources
I wonder what kind of job I would be qualified for. And if I were qualified, would I really want that job?