Saturday, August 11, 2007

like being in a bathtub with a bunch of strangers

One of Sarge's friend's put it so eloquently: going to the community swimming pool is like being in a bathtub with a bunch of strangers.

And it is. Sometimes.

I love going to the pool when there's not too many people there. Heck, we were there the other day when it was just us and another family with kids the same ages as mine - they hit it off beautifully and had so much fun together. But no one else was there, really.

But then there's the other times, where adults are consuming adult beverages in large quanities while simultaneously taking care of a number of children wearing floaties. And the other people who are taking all of the tables, because they're having a private party and glaring at you for using one of them. And there's the kids who splash and shoot water guns at you. And who jump in the pool right on top of your kid who can barely swim. There are the teenagers who use the excuse of being barely dressed to fondle each other in public.

And the ignoring, oh the ignoring. I dream of the day that I can sit on a lawn chair and read a book while my children swim. I dream of the day that I don't have to get in a bathing suit to take the kids to the pool. But those dreams will never be reality. Just recently, I've gotten to the point where I can sit by the edge of the pool or sit on a step in the pool and watch the kids. But I still get in to throw them, or to help them with their diving toys or just play with them. I don't think that I'll move much further away from them. Because going to the pool is family time for me. They always have a new trick they want to show off or a new skill. And I want to be there when they say, "watch, mommy, watch!" But this sentiment is not shared by so many.

I love that our neighborhood has a pool that I can use. I love that I've been able to watch my children really learn how to swim over the last two summers. I love that we can cool off on a hot summer day.

But I really wish that I could figure out a time that not everyone and their brother is going to the pool. Because I'm not fond of being in the tub with bunch of strangers.

No comments: