Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Three things that I want my kids to...

Another group writing project! I love these things! It forces me to think creatively and hopefully write more gooder.

Three things that I want my kids to know about their mother:

1. I'm fun. Seriously, I know you think that I'm the lamest person you've ever met. You think that I don't laugh at the naughty stuff you do. You think that I disapprove of jumping on the bed and wiping snot on your sister. You think that I love homework and green beans.

Guess what? It's all a farce. It's what they teach us in mommy school. I really want to eat ice cream and chocolate cake with you for dinner and give you wet willies. I want to jump on the bed with you and I also want to see what happens if you throw a raw egg at the wall. And I giggle at the funny naughty stuff you do.

2. I'm smart. I really can hear you when you call my name a hundred times. I know your favorite cereal and that you will eventually pick it. I even don't need to be told ten times that you want milk on your cereal. I already knew it. You think that I couldn't go through the day without being told that your sister hit you - I've been listening in the whole time and was waiting for you to work it out.

I choose carefully for you, not carelessly and unthinking, as you are under the impression. I know the answer to the math problem, I just want you to do it your own self. I know you and your choices and your personalities. I even know where the freckles are that no one else does.

3. I don't get lonely when I'm in the shower. I know you mean well, and that sometimes I might even be in there for ten whole minutes by myself. I appreciate the sentiment, but honestly, you don't have to sacrifice your playing time to come chatter at me. Or show me your toy. Or tell me that your brother pinched you. I love that I've raised such compassionate children, but I'm telling you the truth when I tell you that I don't mind if you go in the other room to watch the Backyardigans.

There's more fun over at Mamablogga. Go check it out!

11 comments:

Jordan (MamaBlogga) said...

Oh, this is hilarious! How true, how true.

#1 and #2 are going to be even harder to prove to your kids once they get to be teenagers! (Hopefully, by then they'll leave you alone in the shower.)

Thanks for this post!

Karen said...

Great post. And so true on so many levels.

Wanna prove you're fun? Just one time...eat ice cream for dinner. I mean, seriously, it won't kill them and they will ALWAYS remember that. They'll be 40 and they'll reminisce "remember the time mom ate ice cream with us for dinner?"

but of course, you'll have to blog about it! ;)

I enjoyed this writing project too. I'd love you to swing by and see mine. :)

Corey~living and loving said...

Great fun post! Loved the smile it gave me. When you have ice cream for dinner....don't forget to invite me...I'd love it! :)

Robin said...

Oh man, I am rolling over here!

Kasie Sallee said...

I love your essay! I hope my girls will remember me as fun. And I love #3, lol. My oldest can talk my ear off sometimes.
: ) Smiles!

Kate said...

Not only are you smart and funny, but you are an excellent writer.

Daisy said...

So, so true! I snuck a piece o carrot cake for breakfast one day. My 15-year-old thought it was just wrong. My 20-yr-old was still asleep. My husband? He immediately reminded me of the Bill cosby sketch where he serves chocolate cake to the kids for breakfast! Heck, it had milk and eggs in the batter, right? :)

justjenny said...

That is so funny and so true!

#2 said...

'Cause y'all thought that I wouldn't blog about the kind of day that warrants ice cream for dinner? Oh, it'll happen.

reprehriestless warillever said...

I can tell from this post that you are funny and smart (#1 and #2). Hope you can convince your kids ;)

Lori- Fairytales & Margaritas said...

Very funny! I agree with you.