Monday, June 25, 2007

The one where my life changed.

Nearly six years ago, just after the birth of our second child, my oh-so-brilliant husband dropped a bomb. "Baby, I've been thinking about it, and I don't think I want to be sitting behind a desk in ten years. I just can't imagine trying to make VP. I don't want that."

It was our second child. He knew better than to mess with a woman with all those crazy hormones running around in her body. When you have a baby, lots of stuff comes out, but the crazy stays in. Promise.

Anyhow, I responded very rationally for a postpartum woman. "What do you think you want to do?" He said, "I really want to be a cop. I've always wanted it."

This is where the crazy came out. "Go for it," I said.

My husband is NOT a risk taker. He'd gained sympathy weight with me. He needed to be in shape in order to get into any police department. Maybe my plan wasn't so crazy after all. He'd never do it, but I'd still get credit for being the supportive wife, right?

He started shopping around for police departments. I begged him not to work in the really large cities around us, and he agreed. He found two, one of which didn't have a physical exam for the initial testing. Uh oh.

It was time to play my ace. "Baby, you know that if you do this, we'll be REALLY poor and you'll have to keep your truck a lot longer than we'd planned." He'd been driving that truck for six years already, and you could see the saliva at the corners of his mouth every time we passed a truck dealership. Once he realized that, he'd give up this silliness and go back to that job that he hated, right?

"I'd been thinking about that, and it's really okay with me. I want this worse than I want a new truck."

Lightning struck. I knew right then and there that this was going to happen. Both cities he applied to wanted him. The one he preferred was moving more quickly along in the process, and he told the other city what was happening, and they told him they'd halt his application, but to call if something happened with the first city.

He was hired as a recruit just five months after all this started, which is very fast for any police application process, I've discovered. We moved to a teeny tiny house, just half a mile from the police station, so his truck would last longer. And I got a new husband.

He was a changed man. He smiled more. He laughed. He loved waking up every morning to go to work, and he was happy when he got home. He was working harder than he'd ever worked before, and he was happier than he'd ever been before. He followed his calling, and it was the best thing that ever happened to us.

3 comments:

Karen said...

"When you have a baby, lots of stuff comes out, but the crazy stays in."

Ok, seriously, this is the FUNNIEST thing I've read all day!!!

Congrats to your hubby for finding work he LOVES! That is so important!!!

Dawn said...

Wow... what a great story :) I'd like one of those new-fangled things.. you know... a *happy* man. Where do I apply???

#2 said...

Ooh, a happy man. They're worth their weight in gold. I highly recommend it!