Saturday, June 2, 2007

curls

The baby has curly hair. He always has, and I used to let it grow a little long, just so the curls would be curly. It was adorable.

About a year ago, he decided that he wanted me to cut his curls off. I asked him day after day if that's really what he wanted, and he never waivered. He wanted his curls off. So I cut them. I gave him a crewcut, just like his father and his brother. It was what he wanted and I wanted to cry.

Now, don't get me wrong. The child was still adorable. I mean, he can't help it. But it wasn't the same without his sweet curly head.

Mostly out of laziness, I've let his hair grow. He needs a cut, but I really don't want to. Between the extra length and the humidity in the air, his curls are coming back. They are just as adorable as I remember. But we can't make a big deal out of it, because he does NOT like them still. If I fluff up his hair on top, he'll flatten it the best he can. He takes his little hand, starting at the crown of his head and moves his hand toward his forehead, smoothing all of his hair forward. But the curls pop up, so he has mostly flat hair with little flyaway edges.

What he doesn't know yet, however, is that those curls suit his personality perfectly. And what he doesn't appreciate yet is that the girls will go crazy over those curls. Hmm, on second thought, maybe I should cut them off.

No comments: