Monday, May 28, 2007

memorial day

I was so pleasantly surprised by the fact that there was no parking to be had at our local Memorial Day celebration. I've never been so excited about parking a ways off and walking.

You see, I was worried that no one would show up. I was worried that too many people were off enjoying their long weekend without remembering why it has been given to us. I was so proud to see lots of young children watching the flags go all the way up, then come halfway down again. I was proud to see lots of young children listening to the national anthem and climbing in the military vehicles. I was proud to see all those people respecting those who have fought and died for our freedoms we so easily take for granted.

I will now step off my soapbox and drag myself to McDonald's. I promised the kids that the first day of summer vacation that dad wasn't around we'd go there. They don't want the food, just the Shrek toys. Dad doesn't want the food either - that's why we had to wait until he was at work.

Ah, the freedom.

No comments: