Tuesday, April 24, 2007

my finishing year

As a crafter, I often have heaps and heaps of projects in different stages of finished-ness. I like to knit, crochet, cross-stich and, of course, sew. I am a collector of fabric. I am a collector of craft projects.

One year, before my sewing thing really got to the point it is now (read: ridiculously busy, feel guilty when I do anything but sew), I was short on extra cash, so I decided that I needed no more new projects, that I would simply finish ones that I have partly finished, or I had all the materials for.

Anyhow, I took a year and purchased no new projects. I allowed myself to purchase things that I needed in order to finish a project, like a zipper or final touches for a cross stich. I had more fun that year, crafting. It was fulfilling, it was so productive, and it was such a great way to save money! I'd already spent it! Just use it!

I made a list at the beginning, categorized by type of project. Because, as you know, different situations call for different projects. I think I had close to thirty projects on the list, about six or seven major projects.

I finished them all, save a queen sized quilt that I was handquilting. That I began right after I moved to Texas. In 1997. It's out of style now, so the motivation is minimal. Fortunately, it will come back in style, and I'll get it done. Back to the things I actually finished - I can't even remember them all.

I've recently been doing something similar, but mostly what I've been collecting is fabric and ideas. I LOVE remnants, so I've a large collection of smallish pieces of fabric. Fortunately, I do most of my sewing for smallish people. But, I made my little girl a nightgown and a dress (which she calls her fabric dress - she can't wrap her head around the fact that all dresses are made of fabric). I've got her a pair of pants in the pipeline, as well as matching PJ's for the boys. And some more matching shirts and dress for the little people, because nothing says "I love you" like matching clothes. I'd better start saving for therapy.

But I should get some other things finished first. Gah.

No comments: